Trump defends Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse, arguing self defense
WASHINGTON On the eve of his visit to Wisconsin, President Donald Trump defended the 17-year-old who fatally shot two protesters in Wisconsin last week, embracing an attorney’s account that Kyle Rittenhouse acted in self-defense.
Referring to cell phone video of the incident, Trump told reporters on Monday that Rittenhouse was “trying to get away from them, I guess, it looks like” and said that protesters “violently attacked him.” Trump repeatedly noted the shooting remained under investigation but also appeared to lean into Rittenhouse’s self-defense argument.
Rittenhouse has been charged with five felonies and a misdemeanor after shooting three people Tuesday, two of them fatally. Rittenhouse was acting as self-appointed security against rioting and considered himself a militia member, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.
via www.usatoday.com